Smartphones today use a lot of data and there are few options in android that you can configure to restrict that. In android nougat, you can use data saver option to limit the data usage and if you want to control certain applications from accessing internet, then you can enable background data restriction for them. And there are various other settings that you can look into, to reduce the data usage on a mobile network. However, Wi-Fi networks can also be set as a metered connection and that can help you to save some data.
Configure a Metered Wi-Fi Connection
- Make sure you are connected to the Wi-Fi network that you want to set as a metered connection.
- Now go to Settings > Data usage.
- Then scroll down to Network restrictions and open it.
- Here, you will a list of Wi-Fi networks that you have saved/connected.
- Enable metered connection for your Wi-Fi network.
When you configure any Wi-Fi network as a metered connection, then your phone will treat it as a mobile data connection and it will ask you for your permission while downloading large files.
If you want to save some more data, then you can configure apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram to download low quality images. You can also disable background data synchronization for the apps. There are many other tools available in Google Play Store that can help you to control the data speed.
Other Settings That Can Help You to Reduce Data Consumption
- In Google Play Store you can disable automatic app updates.
- Set the YouTube video quality to 360p or 480p. You can also use YouTube Go to save and share downloaded videos.
- Make sure to properly set the streaming quality in Google Play Music.