As a custom ROM user I know how important is ADB for performing various operations such as flashing zip files and recoveries. It can be used for booting the device into various boot modes. The most commonly used command is the “adb sideload” which helps the user to transfer and flash the zip files from PC to phone through the recovery.
Before using the ADB and fastboot, you have to first enable the USB debugging from the Developer options. If you can’t see the Developer options in the settings menu, then you have to enable it. To enable Developer Options, you have to tap the build number (Which can be found on Settings > About Phone) for 5 times. Now you can find the Developer Options in the Settings Menu.
- Download ADB files.
- Now run the download file.
- It will ask you “Do you want to install ADB and fastboot? (Y/N)” in the command window you have to type Y or N and then press Enter.
- Then it will again ask you if you want it install the ADB system wide, enter your option and again press Enter.
- Install the adb Drivers.
After the installation is completed you can find the adb folder in C drive or the root drive. You don’t have the option to change the location during installation. However, you can move the folder to another location or you can also rename the folder.
What else do you need?
Some devices work on the same driver that you have just installed but others need some extra drivers to get themselves detected. You can download them from the phone manufacturer’s website.
Some ADB and fastboot commands
If you are using ADB for the first time, then you might need to get used to some basic commands.
- adb devices: This command will show you the connected devices and their serial number.
- adb reboot: This will reboot the device to system.
- adb reboot bootloader: Use this command to get the phone into fastboot mode.
- adb reboot recovery: Reboots phone into recovery.
- adb sideload filename.zip: Flashes the zip file.
- fastboot flash partition filename (i.e. fastboot flash recovery twrp.img): This command will flash the recovery that you have entered.
- fastboot reboot: This will also reboot into system.
- fastboot erase userdata: Using this command you can erase all user data from your phone.
- fastboot erase cache: This command will clear the cache partition from your phone.