We all know how important is GApps for a custom ROM it basically gives life to the OS. GApps include all the Google Applications that are available for the Pixel and Nexus devices. When you install a custom ROM on your phone it doesn’t include any extra apps like Google Play Store or Google Account Services. To enable this, you have to flash any of the GApps available online. Open GApps is most widely used due to its compatibility and reliability with many custom ROMs. You can select and download a particular package from the Open GApps Website according to your requirement. The size of the GApps varies from 100MB to 1.2GB according to the package, android version and SOC structure of your phone.
Configure gapps-config file to Enable Google Assistant
Except for the Aroma Package all other packages can be configured by placing a text file (gapps-config.txt) at the same location where the package is saved. Follow the below steps to enable Google Assistant through gapps-config.txt file:
- Create a text file and name it as gapps-config.
- Now add GoogleAssistant in the text file.
- For Aroma Package you have to select Google Assistant during the installation.
You can use the config file to downsize the installation package and also for limiting the stock app removal (Read : FAQ Page Of Open GApps).
The various packages available for download
- Aroma– It has a graphical interface with options to customize the installation.
- Super– It includes all the Google applications that were ever shipped to Pixel and Nexus Phones.
- Stock– It is the most recommended package for your phone and it removes all the stock/AOSP Browser, Camera, Email, Gallery, Launcher, Keyboard, SMS App, Pico TTS or WebView.
- Full– This is similar to Stock Package but it doesn’t remove the stock apps.
- Mini– This include limited number of apps. You will also find the core Google system base, Google Android Shared Services, off-line speech files, Google Play Store, Google Exchange Services (replaces stock/AOSP Exchange Services.
- Micro– This package is customized for the legacy devices which have small system partitions or those who like minimal approach.
- Nano– It includes minimal number of Google Apps.
- Pico– This includes the basic Google stuff like Dialer Framework, Google system base, Google Play Store, Google Calendar Sync, Google Android Shared Services.
- TVStock– It includes the package for Android TV.
You can also activate the Google Assistant in your existing phone (Read: How to get Google Assistant on any Android Phone).