If your device does not have a fingerprint sensor, then you might get irritated by unlocking it again and again. However, Android now have a feature known as Smart Lock in which it can identify you (The Owner) and will automatically unlock the device. Sometimes this feature is not accurate, but we find it useful on many occasions. All the option in the Smart Lock will not be available for your device as many of them require specific sensors that might be not on your phone.
You can find Smart Lock in the Settings > Security menu, enable and complete the setup process to unlock your device when it is with you. Smart Lock will ask you for the PIN or pattern when you change any settings. The various options available on it are:
- Smart Lock On-body detection: If you enable this feature, then the phone will stay unlocked as long as it is in motion with you, the motion sensor helps the Smart Lock to detect that whether the phone was in continuous motion with you or not.
- Trusted Places: You can choose and add the places where you want to keep your device unlocked, you have to keep GPS and Wi-Fi scanning on to use this feature.
- Trusted Device: Any Bluetooth connected device such as headsets can be used to keep the device unlocked. You can also use your smart watch and car’s audio system to get your phone unlocked.
- Trusted Face: It’s not the most reliable one but if you can’t find any other option on your device, then you can use this feature. This can be less secure as compared to PIN and pattern lock.
- Trusted Voice: If you open this feature, then it will take you to the ‘Ok Google’ detection menu in which you can enable trusted voice option. You can train your device with your voice model so it can unlock the device.
Using Smart Lock can cause battery drain as it uses a lot of sensor to know whether to unlock your device or not. Currently, fingerprint sensors are the fastest and most reliable method to unlock your phone. Many Smartphone companies have already provided these features on their device. New security features like 3D facial recognition will make the unlocking experience more fast. If you can’t find Smart Lock settings in security menu, then you try these options to get it: 1. Update the Google App 2. Update Play store and Play services.