The latest version of the MIUI is now available for Redmi Note 4 and Mi 6 as a Developer ROM. To install MIUI 9 you have to unlock the bootloader of your phone and as it is a developer preview you may find it unstable for the day to day usage. Currently, there is no change in the looks but the performance is increased (As claimed by Xiaomi). The only major change that we found on the MIUI 9 was on settings menu. They have organized the about phone menu by showing phone hardware information as tiles. As many new themes are introduced like Geometry, we may see some cosmetic changes in the future as the development progresses.
Installing MIUI 9 on your phone
- Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader on your phone.
- Download the latest MIUI 9 Global developer ROM for Redmi Note 4.
There are two methods which can be used: 1. Recovery Method 2. Fastboot Method
- In this method you have to download the recovery update file from the MIUI download page for Redmi Note 4.
- After downloading the file copy it to SD card or Internal Memory.
- Now go to Settings > About > System Update > Choose Update file.
- Then select the zip file that you have just copied and the update will start.
- For the Fastboot method download the latest Fastboot file for Redmi Note 4.
- Now extract the zip file anywhere and copy the folder path.
- Download and install MiFlash Tool.
- Now boot your phone to fastboot mode (Power off the phone and then press Power button + Volume Down) and connect it to PC.
- Then open MiFlash Tool and Refresh it, you will be able to see the serial number of the connected phone.
- Now paste the Folder path where the fastboot zip file has been extracted.
- And then Press Flash button (Before Flashing, check the bottom options to configure the installation or you may lose all the data on your phone).
Recently, Xiaomi has released Android Nougat 7.0 (MIUI 8 based) for the Redmi Note 4 and we have tested it and found nothing new in it because it is still based on the MIUI 8. There might be some bug fixes but they are unnoticeable. For now, only selected user have got the update and if no bugs are found then it will be released for all.
Image Source: MIUI